Monday 28 September 2009

This week at w4s HQ

We heard about a brilliant new web site on the radio the other week www.vegswap.co.uk. A great idea if you've been growing your own veggies - if you have a surplus then you register on vegswap and see if anybody close by has anything that you'd like to swap with them (don't talk about runner beans and courgettes in my house). This probably appeals to those of us who can remember Saturday Swap-Shop, it's a grown-up, veg growers version! We're going to try to feature new relevant websites in the blog when we come across them, so if you've any that you think will be relevant send us an email.

Annette and I are very lucky to have a fantastic fruit farm in the village - they grow delicious plums, apples and pears. The apples my family are into at the moment are called Red Devil, a heritage variety. They're so sweet and crispy - I can't understand why they aren't more widely grown.

We've a bit of local media exposure this week, a photographer's coming out to take photos of us in the kitchen. Keep an eye out for it if you live locally, of course we've got our outfits sorted - company T-shirts, just deciding on the shoes!!

My bedtime reading has been a few old cookbooks that belonged to my Granny, amongst them Mrs Beeton. There are some really interesting recipes and ingredients, one that stuck in my mind was cow-heel soup! Yum, yum....

If there is ever a jam shortage I'll be OK - as I'm going to call 2009 the year of the preserves! My cupboard's bursting with damson, plum and blackberry jam. I haven't held back on the chutney making either, red onion, apple and cider and then spicy damson chutney. Annettes youngest loves the red onion one (I'll give her the fiver soon)! I'm toying with the idea of rosehip syrup, who knows it may go quite well with the cow-heel soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment