Monday 17 May 2010

Mum's away....

At the moment the big topic of conversation around our supper table is what the men in the house are going to eat next week when I'm away...My two sons (18 and 13) had a trial run last week when I went out for the evening and my hubby was away on a business trip. I'd left them all that they needed to make tuna fish and pasta but the 18 year old decided that spaghetti wasn't quite what they needed, so sent his younger brother off to the local shop for...(I'm not sure I can admit to this having come into my house and then been eaten with relish, as only teenagers and students can) okay...they had Pot Noodles. Nothing wrong with Pot Noodles, they have their place but that isn't ordinarily in my kitchen! The thing that really made me laugh was when my eldest son said 'but we didn't have any proper pasta', 'There's spaghetti in the cupboard'. His reply ....' alright it might be proper pasta but it's annoying to cook!' He said it with such conviction that I think I actually laughed my socks off! I love teenagers - no really I do, they can be hilarious and brutally honest but they are also really good fun.
So next week is going to be an interesting challenge for them all, the only thing my husband cooks is pancakes (which he does very well), the eldest son did 3 years of food tech - which apparently means he can cook anything and know it's nutritional value, and the youngest would happily exist on a diet of honey on toast and pot noodles (given a chance). This is where wots4supper comes in to its own - I know that I can't give them anything that needs any last minute preparation or complicated cooking, so I shall put together a special 'mums away' week of meals for them and just keep my fingers crossed the local shop's run out of Pot Noodles!
Don't forget to have a look at our Facebook page - and maybe post us a comment.
Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment