Tuesday 19 October 2010

Christmas confessions......

Am I the only one who HATES it when the supermarkets change their ‘seasonal aisle’ to Santa’s Christmas Food Grotto? In fact I’ve been a bit late to post this as our supermarket has been all decked out with their Christmas nuts for about 5 weeks....how do they judge when to put things out? Do they wait until they see 75% of the population with a tan and think ‘Ha... can’t have them too happy and relaxed after their summer hols, lets increase the pressure and get more money out of them ....time for the Christmas lines!’

I studiously avoid going down said aisle as it a) makes me feel cross that I’m being manipulated by the supermarkets into thinking about Christmas in September and b) makes me manic as I think I’m going to forget something, and I have too much choice ....'should we have Roses or Quality Street or Heroes' c) I worry that their going to run out of stuff by the time I buy it (which they have on occasion because I’ve purposefully left it late – I can tell you that increased the worry the next year). They obviously have very clever marketing departments that know how to push the buttons of most shoppers, either that or I’m super gullible and their perfect customer!

I always leave it late to buy Advent calendars – I can’t really see the relevance of Bratz dolls and chocolate treats to the nativity but hey I’m sure there’s a connection there somewhere. One year I left it so late we ended up with a ‘Proper’ Advent calendar, that just had pictures of the three kings, lambs and shepherds behind the doors. As parents we thought it was wonderful and it gave us a little flash back to the good old days but we had a job to persuade the kids, even at the ages of 18, 16 and 12!

I have this year broken my cardinal rule and ventured into the Christmas Food vortex in September, but only to buy a couple of boxes of Turkish Delight. A favourite of mine and my youngest. We have however already polished off one of the boxes I bought, so I can see a return visit for some more before they sell out....supermarket Christmas sale 1- Indignant Grumpy shopper 0

No comments:

Post a Comment