Friday 8 October 2010

Empty Nesters

I know that I'm the last of this current years Empty Nester's, and actually my nest isn't quite empty. I still have one little chick, although being a teenager and having just reached 6 foot I just know he'll cringe if he finds out I've referred to him as a small fluffy cuddly thing....

My 2 eldest are about to disappear for the new term at Uni, and although their particular uni starts very late the time in the lead up has been very well spent preparing for Freshers Week. The curse of the new Student Mum! Our first born is entering her last year at Uni now so we're quite familiar with the whole routine of last minute dashing around to buy those student necessities - I think a new pair of winter boots came high on the list of priorities and I'm not talking sensible thermal wellie-like affairs. These boots will be impossible to walk on in the snow and the ice.....but what do I know? The big difference for us all is that she is very kindly taking her next in line sibling with her.....with strict instructions to keep a subtle eye on him but nor to embarrass him in public.

We've been going through food and meals and what to eat, and what not to eat too much of and hoping that at least some of it has sunk in. He's at an advantage because he's in catered accommodation which means access to breakfast and cooked suppers 5 nights out of 7. He has the express intention of going to his sisters to make sure he has 7 out of 7, but I know she has other ideas. Just wondering how I preside over sibling bickering from 200 miles away....

Anyway, they're both armed with student cook book ,and every kitchen utensil know to man (pizza cutter was high on his list - I use a knife!) and a large stash of vitamin tablets which I hope will see them through to Christmas break!


Happy cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment